Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

NLC, TUC Suspend Planned Strike

• To resume parley with FG on June 19

0 200

 

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress TUC), have suspended
the nationwide strike planned for Wednesday, to protest the removal of fuel subsidy and fuel price increase.

Speaker of the House of Representatives and newly appointed Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, made the disclosure, after a nearly six-hour meeting between a Federal Government team and organised labour at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Monday.

The said the resolutions were, “The NLC to suspend notice of strike forthwith to enable further consultations.

“The TUC and the NLC to continue ongoing engagements with the Federal Government and secure closure on the resolutions.

“The labour centres and the Federal Government to meet on June 19, 2023, to agree on an implementation framework,” Gbajabiamila stated.

Signatories to the resolution are Gbajabiamila, Comrade (Engr.) Festus Osifo, President, TUC, Comrade Joseph Ajaero, President, NLC, Comrade Emmanuel Ugboaja (mni), General Secretary, NLC, Comrade Nuhu Toro, Secretary General, TUC as well as Ms. Kachollom S Daju, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.

The National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Abuja division, had earlier on Monday restrained the NLC and the TUC from embarking on strike over the removal of petrol subsidy.

The NLC had on June 2 issued a five-day ultimatum to the FG to revert to the old price of petrol or face a nationwide strike.

The court granted an interim injunction sought by the federal government preventing the unions from embarking on strike on Wednesday.

The Presiding Judge, Olufunke Anuwe said the unions should halt the planned strike pending the hearing and determination of the ex parte motion filed by the FG.

He said the federal government was able to show that the planned strike is capable of disrupting activities in the health and education sectors.

“The defendants/respondents are hereby restrained from embarking on the planned industrial action/or strike of any nature, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice dated 5th June 2023,” the judge said.

“It is ordered that the defendant/respondents be immediately served with the originating processes in this suit, the motion on notice and the order of this court hereby made.

“The motion on notice is hereby fixed for hearing for 19th June 2023. Hearing notices to that effect shall be served on the defendants/respondents along with the other processes,” the judge added.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.